Ever since my decision to travel and live abroad in SE Asia, I have been wanting to start a blog. Although it has been a year and a half since living here, I figure better late then never! It is absolutely insane how fast time has flown by. The days turn into nights, the weeks into months and the two seasons (rainy and hot) into years at lightning speed. Although it seems I am always looking forward to the next 3 day weekend, holiday or festivity, in actuality, all I really want is for time to slow down. Frequently, I find myself on the back of Scott's motorbike or a silom (motorbike driver) looking around in awe and amazement just as I had the first day we arrived. Although my life is definitely hectic (living in a city with thousands of motorbikes, the hustle-bustle of NYC, and my constant reply of "yes, I'd love to come!") I really wouldn't want it any other way. Scott and I have adopted the 'YOLO' (you only live once) moto. We figure now is the time to do it (if it makes you happy it can't be that bad).
There has been so many experiences, little and big, that have made me grow into the person I am now-- very different from the person who stepped onto the plane a year and a half ago at the Toronto Pearson Airport. My mind, appetite, and appreciation for life, family and friends, has grown immensely. Not being able to be a part of Christmas, a birthday party, a 'girls-night-out' with my best girlfriends, Thanksgiving, a niece/nephews birth, really makes you realize the richness and importance of relationships. Although I have never been one for materialistic (excuse my French) shit, now, more then ever, I know what is important to me, how I want to live my life, and what I want for my future. I know one day, years from now, I am going to be reminiscing upon this adventure with a big ol' grin across my face and a strong understanding of my place/reason for being in this world.
Please stay tuned for updates on ESL teaching in Vietnam, living in District 1 (the hub) of Ho Chi Minh City, my rants for how much I miss my family/friends, my experiences hanging out with awesome expats/members of the local community, and of course, the endeavors I share with my wonderful and amazing boyfriend, Scooty.
<3
No comments:
Post a Comment